AGRICULTURE, FORESTRY AND FISHERIES BURSARY AWARDS FOR 2020
The Department of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries (DAFF) intends to award comprehensive bursaries to qualifying applicants pursuing and/or intending to further their studies in identified careers in the agricultural, forestry and fisheries sectors for the 2020 academic year. The bursary will cover tuition, accommodation, books, meals and monthly allowance. The bursary awards target the previously disadvantaged and impoverished persons from povertystricken and rural communities.
Fields of study Minimum requirements:
Minimum requirements (National Senior Certificate) Mathematics and Physical Science 5 (60-69)
1. B.Sc. Majoring in Ichthyology/Fisheries Science
2. B.Sc. Oceanography and Marine Biology
3. B.Sc. Marine Biology
4. B.Sc. Forestry and Wood Science
5. B.Sc. Entomology
6. B.Sc. Food Science
7. B.Sc. Plant Pathology
8. B.Sc. Viticulture and Oenology
Minimum requirements (National Senior Certificate) Mathematics and Physical Science 6 (70–79)
9. B.Sc. Bioresource Engineering
10. Bachelor of Veterinary Science (B.V.Sc.)
Minimum requirements (National Senior Certificate) Mathematics and Physical Science 4 (50–59)
11. National Diploma: Food Technology
12. National Diploma: Forestry
13. National Diploma: Marine Science
14. Postgraduate studies (B.Tech, B.Sc., Hons. M.Tech., M.Sc., D.Tech. and Ph.D.) in different agricultural, forestry and fisheries fields of study relating to DAFF priority research projects. Successful candidates will be appointed as interns and placed with the relevant industry/research institution/s of higher learning as young professionals. Successful candidates will also be allocated a mentor and will receive a monthly allowance from the department for accommodation and meals.
1. It is worth noting that certain fields of study are only available at certain institutions of higher learning:
- B.Sc. Majoring in Ichthyology/Fisheries Science: Rhodes University
- B.Sc. Oceanography and Marine Biology: University of Cape Town
- B.Sc. Forestry and Wood Science: University of Stellenbosch
- B.Sc. Viticulture and Oenology/Plant Pathology: University of Stellenbosch
- B.Sc. Bioresource Engineering (Agricultural Engineering): University of KwaZulu-Natal
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science (B.V.Sc.): University of Pretoria
- National Diploma: Food Technology: Durban University of Technology, Tshwane University of Technology, Cape Peninsula University of Technology and University of Johannesburg
- National Diploma: Forestry: Nelson Mandela University
- National Diploma: Marine Science: Cape Peninsula University of Technology.
2. Applicants must be South African citizens.
3. Applicants must complete the relevant bursary application forms available from the website address: www.daff.gov.za (Click on vacancies).
4. Applicants who apply for fields of study that are not listed above will not be considered.
5. Please note that communication will be limited to successful applicants only. If you have not received any communication from the department by 22
January 2020 after the National Bursary Committee has finalised the selection process, consider your application unsuccessful.
6. No faxed/e-mailed application forms will be considered.
7. No late application forms will be considered.
8. All completed bursary application forms together with certified copies of ID and certificates/performance results should be sent to the following address:
Directorate: Sector Education and Training
Department of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries
Private Bag X250
For further enquiries, please contact:
Mr Vusimuzi Mngomezulu
012 319 7923
Ms Silindelo Dlomo
012 319 7848
(i) The Department of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries reserves the right to determine the total number of bursary allocations for the academic year based on the total budget available.
(ii) The National Bursary Committee will make use of the Bursary Scheme’s 14-point system to allocate points to shortlisted applicants.
(iii) The Bursary Scheme of the Department of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries is in fulfilment of the sector strategic objective of elimination of skewed participation in the agricultural, forestry and fisheries sectors.
People with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Closing date for all applications: 30 September 2019.